Monday, April 28, 2008

Mean Mom

You know, I am not the nicest mom. When my kids fall and scrape their knee or bump their head, I say "you're ok". When they are scared of going on a ride at Disneyland, I make them go on it anyway (and I might hold their arms up too!). If they don't want to jump off the diving board, I will throw them in. Like I said I am not very nice.

A couple of weeks ago we went to Disneyland with Abi and her kids. It was fun because Abi watched the younger kids while I took Travis and Taylor on a couple of "real" rides. Well, I took them on Tower of Terror. Neither of them had been on it before, so they had no idea what they had gotten themselves into. While on the ride, I looked over at my son's face and just saw the most frightened look in his eyes that I could ever imagine and I actually felt bad...really bad. It really surprised me that I didn't think or say "suck it up...you're fine, you're fine".

You know, I am not quite sure why I am like that. I hope that someday my kids don't remember me as the "mean mom".

Taylor and Travis right before going on Tower of Terror

All the kids

ps...Travis and I were on an elevator the other day and I told him that we were on the Tower of Terror and the doors were going to open up and then we would drop. He said that he knew we were not, but then he grabbed onto the bar just in case. Now it is our joke every time we are on an elevator.

8 comments:

Laura Ek said...

Oh my gosh Jill, I can't believe Travis went on the Tower of Terror. You should have seen my face the first time I went on it. Then I looked around and saw 5 year olds and thought it couldn't be that bad, but I was still scared! Connor would have been crying on that ride, Travis is awesome!!!

Ann Marie said...

Wow! You are brave taking them on that! Kylie gets freaked out and death grips my arm just watching it from the outside! One day I hope she'll want to ride it with me though - I do love it!

Abi said...

Taylor still tells me she never wants to go on that ride again..."mom, I don't like your favorite ride."

Roney Family said...

Looks like you had a good time. I would have loved to see a picture of the kids when they got off the ride!!!

Jill said...

I wish that I would have taken a picture of them on the ride...actually I should have bought it!

anna said...

hey jill! thought i would leave you a comment. your kids are soooo cute! i love their angelic faces!!

and you aren't a mean mom...just normal. hey, at least you don't tell them to "rub some dirt on it."

Jennifer said...

I am blog stocking, but how else are we going to stay in touch throughout the week? Email me at jlrkeller@hotmail.com and I will invite you to my blog. Ok, you call yourself a mean mom b/c you force your kids to do scary things...I am a mean mom b/c I am constantly yelling at my kids for a variety of reasons. I am at my mom's house right now, putting myself in a time out because I am literally losing it constantly! I had major pms this week, but that's no excuse. I now Anna can be hard, but I am in need of mood stablizers or something. It's been a rough couple weeks and I am only hoping that somehow I can change my approach to things b/c what I am doing now isn't good for anyone, especially the kids. So, I want to do dland tomorrow, you in? I mean, why not punish myself more right? Call me if you are interested. Oh, btw, I just barely went on tower of terror for the first time a month ago and there is no way in H Madison would ever let me take her on that! She starting freaking out when we took her to the enterance to get the baby swap pass. YOu ARE brave!

Sara Walker said...

It was so fun to see you guys! I can't wait to see the pictures you took at Riptide -I think you got some good ones. Thanks for the invite, it was great catching up with the gang. Sara