Sunday, March 16, 2008

Little Leah

Friday was a long day...Leah had a doctor's appointment with a pediatric orthopedic specialist because they thought there might be a problem with her hips. Let me back track for a minute...when she was a couple of weeks old, her pediatrician noticed that her legs were different lengths. She had to get ultrasounds twice on her legs and that led us to this appointment Friday. Her legs seem more even now, which made me think there was really no problem. I used to joke around that my daughter was going to have to wear "special shoes". Let me tell you, "special shoes" sound pretty good to me about now!
To make a really long story short, Leah has a severe case of some type of hip displacia. Her right hip socket is not formed properly. For the next 3 months she has to wear this splint 24 hours a day. After that, depending on if it is doing any good, she will have other splints and hopefully wear them less and less (night only) until she is about 3. By then, she will be able to take it off herself and they will not do much good. If the splint does not correct the problem, when she is 4 or 5 she can have a surgery where they reshape her hip bone and she can live a normal life.
You know, I know that this is not really a very big deal. This is not some sort of terminal illness. But it is really hard. When the doctor told me, I just about had a heart attack. While he was telling me about it, he was putting this splint on her and I was just thinking, "my little daughter has to wear this 24 hours a day for at least 3 months." "My daughter can only wear oneies and socks for the next 3 months and I just took the tags off and washed all of her 3-6 month clothes." "People are going to look at her everywhere I go and wonder what is wrong with her." "Leah may never be able to go to gymnastics, or ballet, or play soccer...." You get the picture. I know these are things that don't matter, but I do have a crazy brain. It was a hard, hard day!!
I am feeling much better about it now. Leah has yet to wear it for 24 hours. It is a little uncomfortable to sleep in, so we cheated the first night (she kept waking up ever 30 minutes screaming and when I finally took it off her she stopped immediately) and the second night (had a babysitter and wanted to make it easy on her). I did put her to bed in it tonight. We will see how it goes. I know that we will both get used to it and it will be no big deal.

There is a harness on top

Leg straps on the bottom, and velcro straps connecting the top and bottom in the front and back holding her legs in an open squatting position (New nickname...froggy). She has to wear socks past her knee so the velcro doesn't irritate her skin. Does anyone know where to get those leg warmer things at? Those might be perfect if they come small enough. At least the splint is pink!

SISTERS
Couldn't resist putting this one in!!

11 comments:

Wilson Family said...

Oh Jill I think she looks adorable. I love the pic of Leah and Sara. It looks like Sara has the straps too. Were you able to put a dress over the top. I am really sorry that you have to go through this. You will be so glad that it was discovered when she was tiny. Take care and we just watned you to know that we pray for Leah and that she will be okay. We love you guys.
Clint, Becky and Callie

Trisha said...

Hi Jill, it's Trisha (Kyle's wife). Sorry you had a rough day. My friend has a little girl and she said there were a bunch of leg warmers at target that were really cute. Leah is a doll!!

Jill said...

She does look so sweet! So I went to babylegs website and found a list of stores--there are a lot! http://www.babylegs.net/retailers.php?st=CA Also, it looks like they sell them online at Target and Babycenter. She will be the most stylist brace wearing baby that there is! And I love that it's light pink. We're thinking of you guys and know that you have lots of support!

Sara Walker said...

Hi Jill, can she wear clothes over the sling? Seems like you'd be able to. Trumpette that makes those really cute mary jane looking socks also makes tights that are super cute. I had a pink pair for Ella with mary jane shoes that she wore all winter. -They aren't that heavy though so Leah could wear them year round.
Aren't you glad you caught this early! It's not that bad, Leah is so cute she'll look adorable in anything. Miss you! Sara

Kjrsten said...

First I can not get over how BEAUTIFUL she is. She must be the most gorgeous baby I have seen, since I don't know when?! Oh my, those rosie & kissable cheeks, lucious lips, and her eyes... you can get lost in them, they are so big beautiful! I know I said she was a doll when she was first born, but she just gets more adorable everytime you post new pics, if that is even possible!!!

It is so tough sometimes to be a parent, we carry a lot of stress and anxiety over things like this, but you sound like you are handling well... And your crazy brain... I would have been thinking the same things. Jill you are a good mom, she is lucky to have you, and such a loving family. I know she will come through this just fine... because she is your daughter, and that is how I know it!

Stephanie said...

Hi Jill, Leah is so beautiful and getting so big! I can't wait to see her! Sara is looking adorable as ever and only getting bigger! Everything will work out, the Lord has a plan for behind every trial. That's what I keep telling myself to help me through any trial I come across. I love you and tell Jay, Travis, Sara, and Leah I say hi and miss and love them all! I really can't wait to see you!

seetheminers said...

She is darling. I'm sorry you guys have to go through this...that would be so hard. But it's good they caught it soon and can do something about it. Modern medicine is a great thing! We just want you to know we are thinking about you. Maybe you can accessorize with hats and bows...try katelynandco.com

Roney Family said...

Jill, I know that this must be a hard time, I am really sorry and hope that all goes well. But on the bright side, at least it is a fixable problem. I am sure it will be hard to keep her in that "Froggy" thing. But I am glad that there is something that will work for her! Good luck. She is still so sweet and precious!

Ann Marie said...

Jill - I am so sorry. I had no idea! I totally understand how you reacted, I would have thought the same types of things, or worse. I am such a spaz worry wart. But I have to say that I think she looks absolutely adorable! And it even is pink! It is hard, but I like what you said how it will get easier for you both. Just keep telling yourself that! If you need anything, call me! :-)

Laura Ek said...

Oh my gosh Jill, she is so sweet and cute! I'm sure everything will get better as the days and weeks go by!

camille said...

I'm so sorry you had such a hard day. I totally understand how that would feel. When you first mentioned it, the sleeping thing came to my mind. I hope that she gets used to it quickly and you can all get some rest. She will be fine, I know. Don't feel like you have a crazy mind...we all think of stuff like that with our kids. That is a completely rational thought to worry about "funny" stuff like that. If you need ANYTHING please do not hesitate to ask. Leah is such a beautiful little girl and all I kept thinking when looking at these pics is,"Man, she is so pretty!"